Stop the Fighting of God’s People in Papua!
Dear members of the Evangelical Church in Indonesia (GIDI), as we arrive at the end of June 2021, I would like to make a special pastoral appeal regarding the situation facing one of Papua’s best sons, Mr. Lukas Enembe who is currently the Governor of Papua.
Since Mr. Lukas Enembe started to lead Papua, in March 2013 until the present day in June 2021, we have witnessed various threats, directly and indirectly. He has experienced life threats, terror, intimidation, legal manipulation as well as indications of an attempt to take over the political power of Lukas Enembe’s leadership in a cunning and unethical manner.
Before we look at the current dynamics, I invite all of us, both GIDI people and the indigenous Papuan political elite to look together at the threats that have occurred towards Governor Lukas Enembe over a period of four years (February 2017 – June 2021), including:
- On February 2, 2017, under the pretext of alleged corruption in the Kemiri-Depapre Road Project, the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) guarded by the Papua Police Mobile Brigade personnel (Brimob), conducted a search of Governor Lukas Enembe’s office.
- In June 2017, Governor Lukas Enembe was present in Tolikara Regency as chairman of the Democratic Party to provide support to the Candidacy of Usman G. Wanimbo, however sometime later, on July 1, 2017, Papuan Police Chief Inspector General Boy Rafli Amar unilaterally announced that Mr. Luke Enembe was a suspect.
- In August 2017, the Director of Criminal Investigations of the National Police Headquarters sent a summons to Governor Lukas Enembe in connection with the Papuan Student Scholarship Assistance Fund for studying Abroad.
- On September 5 2017, there was a meeting between Governor Lukas Enembe and the Head of Intelligence (BIN), General Budi Gunawan at the office of the Head of BIN. Also present at the meeting were the Chief of Police, General Tito Karnavian, the Deputy Chief of Police and the Head of the North Sumatra Police, Inspector General Paulus Waterpauw. During the meeting the Head of BIN asked Governor Lukas Enembe to sign a letter containing 16 points.
- On 22 December 2018, the Head of the Army Public Relations and Media Office (Kapuspen), Ministry for Home Affairs, Bahktiar threatened to dismiss Governor Lukas Enembe, when Governor Lukas Enembe responded to the conflict in Nduga.
- On February 2, 2019, at the Hotel Borobudur Jakarta, the Corruption Eradication Commission tried to carry out a sting operation against Governor Lukas Enembe, but this operation failed and 2 KPK investigators were arrested and taken to the Metro Jaya Police station.
- On October 2, 2019, certain parties intentionally inflated car tires to cause an accident for Governor Lukas Enembe at the Horizon Kotaraja Hotel, Jalan Raya Abepura-Kotaraya, Jayapura when Governor Lukas Enembe attended the handover of the position of Regional Police Chief, from Inspector General, Rudolf Alberth Rodji to Inspector General Paulus Waterpauw.
- On June 24, 2021, Akmal Malik, on behalf of the Minister of Home Affairs, issued a Radiogram Letter regarding the appointment of the Regional Secretary for Papua, Dance Yulian Flassy, to carry out the daily duties of the Governor of Papua, Lukas Enembe.
The threats experienced by Governor Lukas Enembe occurred because all this time Governor Lukas Enembe had put his faith in Jesus Christ, the Savior of Humanity, with the vision of Love breaking through differences and with the mission of building a Revived, Autonomous and Prosperous Papua. We have followed him closely as he as he lives with sincerity, humility, full of love, thoughtful and working honestly to build Papua. Governor Lukas Enembe always speaks and protests honestly when he sees an act that violates the dignity of the Indigenous Papuans.
I see that the honesty, innocence, love and courage of Governor Lukas Enembe in fighting injustice has invited anxiety and fear from many parties. This is because they have carried out injustice, corruption, sold alcohol illegally, carried out illegal meaning, illegal logging, illegal fishing, human rights violations, and violations of the law on Papuan land on behalf of the State.
In this situation of Papua which continues to be a concern of various interests, Governor Lukas Enembe is present as John the Baptist in the wilderness, swamps, mountains, coasts and valleys. He has called on the parties in Papua, the Regents, Mayors, private entities, the Central government in Jakarta, the security forces, companies, national and international investors to repent and work honestly and fairly to build Papua.
The Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia has been used as an empty slogan by parties whose hearts are rotten and evil to exploit natural resources, expropriate customary lands, and violate human rights against God’s people in Papua since the 1960s. Currently, all of those who take refuge under the slogan of the Republic of Indonesia are starting to turn Papuans against each other. They have started to get restless and accuse the other party with cheap provocations. This reactionary group names Papuans who defend the value and dignity that is trampled on and violated in the name of rules and laws, because Indigenous Papuans are victims of the law, not breakers of the law.
Realizing all the dynamics and intricacies of Papua, I honestly have to admit that the historical and political issues of Papua that Lukas Enembe is facing are very heavy and tiring. During the 8 years of leading Papua, many physical, legal and spiritual threats were deployed against Governor Lukas Enembe. We as humans are not able to predict the future of evil designs made by humans who are possessed by greed, power and crime and want to overthrow Governor Luke Enembe. Based on the current Papuan dynamics, I call on the GIDI people in particular and Papuans in general, to strengthen their commitment and to take time to pray and fast for the restoration of the health of Governor Lukas Enembe. Our prayers can break every evil plan of the irresponsible parties who want to destroy Governor Lukas Enembe and the Indigenous Papuans.
Finally, to Governor Lukas Enembe, we as Pastors advise you to continue to stand firmly on the Word of God, continue to speak truth, justice and humanity in Papua.
Jesus bless you!
Jayapura, 29 June 2021